Aguada Fort


The fort was constructed in 1613 to guard against the Dutch and the Marathas & to control the entry into the river Mandovi and to protect Old Goa from potential enemy attacks. It was a reference point for the vessels coming from Europe at that time. This old Portuguese fort stands on the beach south of Candolim, at the shore of the Mandovi River. It was initially tasked with defense of shipping and the nearby Bardez sub district.
A fresh water spring within the fort provided water supply to the ships that used to stop by. This is how the fort got its name: Aguada, meaning Water.