Se Cathedral Church in Goa

Se_cathedral_goa

The Portuguese Viceroy Redondo commissioned the Se, or St. Catherine’s’ Cathedral, southwest of St. Cajetan’s, to be “a grandiose church worthy of the wealth, power and fame of the Portuguese who dominated the seas from the Atlantic to the Pacific”. Today it stands larger than any church in Portugal, although it was beset by problems, not least a lack of funds and Portugal’s temporary loss of independence to Spain. It took eighty years to build and was not consecrated until 1640.